Telemark Nordic is located in the scenic Okanagan Valley, just 30 minutes from downtown Kelowna. It boasts 50 km of groomed trails for classic and skate skiing, an extensive network of marked snowshoe trails, and a dedicated canine trail. Telemark Nordic is a volunteer-driven, non-profit society with over 1200 members. It offers a number of thriving recreational and competitive programs for all ages and abilities. Telemark Nordic’s mission and vision is to:
- Work with all key stakeholders to enhance our programs, services and facilities;
- Foster a strong Nordic skiing culture by promoting cross-country skiing, biathlon, and snowshoeing as sports for life;
- Assist individuals with the development of their Nordic sport(s) skills and abilities in a supportive and inclusive environment;
- Provide training opportunities and support for members who have an interest in competitive skiing and/or participation in community-based Nordic events such as the Apple Loppet.
We are seeking a General Manager who will ensure operations at Telemark Nordic are efficient and aligned with the club’s mission, vision and strategic plan. In addition, we seek a candidate who will take initiative; is skilled in leading teams; and will work collaboratively with the board of directors to achieve the mission and strategic goals of Telemark Nordic.
This is a full-time, year-round position. The General Manager is responsible for (although not limited to):
- Effective and efficient operations of the Nordic Center;
- Operational financial management, including regular financial reporting;
- Leadership role in planning, financing, and implementing major capital projects;
- Operational staffing and ensuring an effective, safe and friendly work atmosphere;
- Ensuring compliance with WorkSafe BC;
- Planning and management support for club programs (Skill Development, Biathlon, Special Olympics, Schools, Masters, Junior Race Team);
- Planning and managing special events for the benefit and enjoyment of members (e.g. annual volunteer appreciation party);
- Leadership role in planning and managing a team of volunteers to maintain/upgrade the trail network;
- Leadership role in planning and providing management support for competitions that the Club may be selected to host from time to time;
- Fostering positive relationships with the Telemark Nordic Club, Cross Country BC, Biathlon BC, partner Nordic facilities in the Okanagan region, government ministries (e.g. BC Ministry of Forests), municipal government, the board of directors and other community stakeholder groups;
- Developing an annual operating plan and annual budget;
- Developing strategic plans in collaboration with the board of directors;
- Leading the development and execution of strategies to manage club growth (i.e. increase membership and day pass utilization while ensuring that facilities and infrastructure are sufficient to accommodate growth);
- Achieving operational goals;
- Seeking out sponsorship opportunities and managing club-sponsor agreements;
- Seeking out and developing grant funding proposals;
- Governmental stakeholder reporting;
- Club communications.
- Operational experience at a Nordic Centre (or similar facility) preferred;
- Outstanding oral and written communication skills coupled with engaging and positive people skills;
- Excellent organizational and managerial skills, including a good understanding of accounting and finance;
- Integrity on the job and high ethical work standards in all dealings with members, staff, and community partners;
- Enthusiasm for working with the Board, volunteers, and members to achieve goals.
Additional Desired Skills
- Advanced computer skills (website, Zone 4, knowledge of database management);
- Some mechanical ability to do minor repairs and service equipment.
Remuneration commensurate with qualifications. Please send resume and cover letter to Lanita Platt, Vice President, Telemark Nordic Ski Club, firstname.lastname@example.org. The posting will close on June 30th, 2018.